51 Weeks' Burning
An exploration and celebration of Burner culture beyond Burning Man
Burning Man is famous for attracting 35,000 individuals every year, who come together to build a city and spend a week in a temporary community based upon the principles of radical self expression, radical self reliance, no commodification and leave no trace. Perhaps more impressive, however, is the world wide community that has grown around this event: a community which comes together not only to help and support each other in the logistically difficult task of preparing to spend a week in one of the world's most hostile environments, but also strive to keep the principles of the event alive for the rest of the year.
51 Weeks' Burning is an evening of celebration of this community, and discussion of why this community exists and what it does. The evening will include:
- A photography exhibition by NK Guy and Dave Bradshaw. The photos will include a large series of diptychs comparing London town and Black Rock City, studio portraits from London Decompression and pictures from European burner events.
- A film screening
- A talk by Ashley Satorius on the principles of gifting economies and the potential for self regeneration in the wider world.
- "We Are Not At Burning Man", a performance lecture by Tessa Wills, leading into a discussion on "coming home"
- A panel discussion between Geoff Dyer (author of “Yoga For the People Who Can’t Bothered To Do It”), Garth Cartwright (author of “Journey’s With Gypsies”) and Mark Pilkington (editor of Strange Attractor Journal) on the nature and development of alternative cultures and a live video link to Los Angeles with Brian Doherty (author of “This Is Burning Man”).
- Pete Johnson describing the process and challenges involved in creating Nowhere, Europe's regional burn based upon the principles of Burning Man.
£5 entry. June 2nd, 7:30pm, at The Horse Hospital, Colonnade, nr Russell Square, London WC1N 1HX
Tickets available on the door.